Mold Camera Club

Nikon Firmware Update Warning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nikon Firmware Update Warning

Post by Harvey Mutch on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 am

Nikon recently issued Firmware updates for the D3100, D3200, D5100 and D5200. This update was supposed to only improve support for the new larger capacity EN EL-14a battery when used in these cameras. In fact, the update also blocks all third party batteries and third party grips, even when the third party grip is fitted with genuine Nikon batteries. I suggest that you may wish to avoid upgrading the firmware on these cameras (or perhaps the others as well) if you use or intend to use third party batteries and grips. I think in the long run this will prove to be a commercial misjudgement by Nikon, system users don't enjoy underhand tactics which dictate the purchase of vastly overpriced Nikon accessories. I am sure that battery suppliers will reverse engineer a solution in due course just as Sigma has had to do for their lenses on the D5300 and Df. As a Nikon user I'm saddened by this Fortress Nikon mentality, I'm not aware of similar nonsenses for Canon System users. I have not updated my cameras.

Harvey Mutch

Back to top Go down

Re: Nikon Firmware Update Warning

Post by Eric M Palmer on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 am

Thank you for the warning. I have used the firmware updates for the Pentax K10D and it vastly improved the camera giving more user control and same with Casio EX-Z600 where after it could use larger SD cards so without your warning I would have likely done a firmware update if offered.
Eric M Palmer

http://www.markpalmer.talktalk.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum